Adventures in Music is a comprehensive program designed to introduce students in grades 4 – 6 to the amazing world of symphonic music. This adventure is the musical event of the year for over 14,000 Manitoba students; showcasing a variety of styles of music and providing opportunities for students and teachers to perform on stage with the WSO in student movement ensembles, as well as in string and recorder ensembles. A curriculum-based Study Guide with wide-ranging lesson plans and activities in both official languages is provided to teachers upon registration to introduce the concert repertoire and the orchestra to students in the classroom and prepare them for a truly exciting experience. Adventures in Music is presented in both official languages.
AVENGERS OF THE LOST ART
Join our adventure to explore the fascinating world of music and art!
Bring your students to Centennial Concert Hall to help the WSO and our resident superhero, Captain Manitoba, avenge some clever art thieves. Together we will explore the fascinating relationship between music and art through story with excerpts from Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition along with some other really super musical selections. This year’s adventure will be made even more exciting with performances by Canadian children’s entertainer Mr. Mark, professional dancers, a live painting on-stage and student movement, recorder and string ensembles, and of course the full WSO!
- Monday, April 27, 2020 @ 1:00pm
- Tuesday, April 28, 2020 @ 10:30am & 1:00pm
- Wednesday, May 13, 2020 @ 10:30am & 1:00pm
- Thursday, May 14, 2020 @ 10:30am & 13h00 (en Français)
Manitoba Centennial Concert Hall, 555 Main St. Winnipeg
Naomi Woo, conductor & host
Mr. Mark, actor
Student Movement Ensembles
Student String Ensembles
Student Recorder Ensembles
- ORDER FORM (click to download PDF)
- Early Bird (until October 28): $6.25 each (tax included)
- Regular (after October 28): $7.25
- Chaperones:One chaperone per 10 students is required and admitted free of charge (including teacher). Special needs assistants are admitted free of charge. Any additional chaperones are $10 each (tax included). Note: All chaperones must arrive and be seated with their school (this includes any parent volunteers).
- Parents & guests of students:$20 each (tax included, ticket fees apply per ticket), available beginning in April 8, 2019 online, by phone at 204.949.3999 or in-person at the WSO Box Office, 555 Main St. Please refer to the information provided by your school music teacher regarding which concert your child is performing at; the box office does not have this information.
· June 28, 2019 – Bach to School eligibility deadline
· September 20, 2019 – Listening Workshop registration deadline
· September 25, 2019 – Adventures in Music Listening Workshop
· October 28, 2019 – Early bird order deadline
2019 MOC Listening Workshops for Teachers
Wednesday, September 25, 2019 ** NEW FOR 2019: Both workshops on the same day!**
8:30am – 4:00pm (Adventures in Music)
3:30pm – 7:00pm (Musical Discoveries)
Louis Riel School Division Board Office, 900 St Mary’s Road (Legacy Centre Room)
The WSO is proud to partner with the Manitoba Orff Chapter to present two Listening Workshops, now both presented on the same day (new for 2019!). Come prepared to dance, sing, play instruments and laugh as presenters introduce the concert repertoire through music and presentations of the corresponding lesson plans along with tips, tricks and best-practices to help you and your students have an exciting Adventure in Music with the WSO.
The daytime session will highlight the Adventures in Music: Avengers of the Lost Art program and the evening session will cover the Musical Discoveries: Wall-to-Wall Percussion concerts for the 2019-20 season. MOC Website.
- 2019-20 Adventures in Music Brochure (coming soon!)
- 2019-20 Adventures in Music Order Form
- 2019 WSO-MOC Listening Workshop Form
Program Inquiries: Brent Johnson, WSO Education and Community Engagement Manager at (204) 949-3967 or e-mail for more information.
Order, Seating & Payment Inquiries: Please email, fax, or drop off your order form at the WSO Box Office, c/o Jeffrey Acosta (Group & Education Events Coordinator) at (204) 949-3995 or e-mail for more information.